People change our lives. Time changes our lives. Time and people can be valuable lessons for us to learn. It’s funny. I look back at high school and I see the people I was surrounded by and how much time has changed us all. I see some people and think, “Oh my gosh I know them. But it almost feels like a lifetime ago.”
It’s amazing. I look at the person that I was six years ago when I graduated high school and I have changed so much. Naturally, I’m reflecting because my sister is graduating in a few months. Then she will be off to Clarion University to major in Biotechnology and Molecular Biology (Whatever the hell that means, I just hope she makes some serious cash).
I used to party. Well, I don’t do that anymore and I feel sorry for all of those individuals that chronically go out and can’t accomplish anything because they’re too busy partying.
I know the difference between what is classy and trashy, and congratulations DuBois, you have the trashiest people in the world. But it took me awhile to know the difference. For example, as much as I don’t like a lot of country music, country isn’t trashy. Trashy depends on the person and not their specific clique or interest. I’m sure, in fact I am positive that trashy people exist everywhere. However, DuBois is so small that they abound. I used to try to fit in with everyone. And I am content with who I am now. I’m content with being by myself, in fact I crave it. Granted most of my time is devoted to work and I take in precious moments with Kyle. I also take in precious moments with my friends when we can make our schedules mesh.
I give this advice:
1) Being opinionated is okay, especially if you’re a female. Being loud, obnoxious and stupid is not okay. It’s especially not okay if you’re drunk. So if you don’t have anything remotely intelligent to say and you just want to be trashy, keep your damn mouth shut. No one wants to hear what you would do for free shots; no one wants to hear about your sex life. NO ONE. Life is far too short to sound anything but semi-intelligent. There’s an old saying that poses the question of “Why do all of the smart people stay quiet and all of the stupid people speak loudly?” Do the world a favor, think before you open your flapping jaws.
2) Know when to keep your mouth shut. Seriously, sometimes you should just keep your mouth shut. Sometimes I have problems with this, but I’m learning that silence is golden. If you have something intelligent to say, by all means please share it with the world.
3) DON”T START OR INFUSE DRAMA. Seriously. It’s not hard. What is hilarious to me is that most people who say, “Oh, I don’t start drama” are the ones that do in fact start it. They won’t ever admit it. You want to talk shit and think you’re tough? Congrats, you are all words. Nothing more. That means if you talk crap on Facebook just to see if someone will react to it that you are, in fact, INFUSING said drama. It’s not cute. If someone calls you out on something and you don’t address the issue with that person, you should. If you fight with people who are younger than you, and then pretend to act like an adult…..YOU AREN’T. Especially true if you’re my age. Come on now. And if you fit into the definition of trashy, and you start drama. You may just have your own MTV show.
4) Now, this will sound super judgmental, but I’m gonna say it anyway: Ladies, if you want a man, advertising that you spread your legs for a million guys won’t get you one. You know how I said be classy? Try that. Because if you dress like a slop, you’re going to attract a pig. If you try being a little lady-like, wear a cute sun dress that doesn’t show your vagina, don’t cake on the make up so you look like a bad science experiment, and don’t fake bake so much that you look like you rolled in Doritos….well, you just might snag a keeper! Try it. If you’re complaining that you don’t have a guy, perhaps you should try a different route. Instead of looking for love in all the wrong places, try loving yourself enough to not be fake. Now, I’m not saying don’t go out and enjoy sex. You can. But when you advertise it like a billboard, it’s detrimental. Someday, you may want to be married, and your husband may be thinking about the 50 some odd penises that were there before him……I mean, think about it. How would you feel if your potential husband had about 50 vaginas on his dick before yours? Personally I would be turned off. Just a thought. If you don’t want to get married and want to just have fun for the rest of your life, then by all means, mount as many dicks as possible. I would also like to write a disclaimer that I don’t really know what lesbians look for in each other. I think gay guys look for in guys what straight guys look for in girls. BUT. Alas, I do not know for sure. Any gays and lesbians may feel free to comment in efforts to educate me.
5) Be natural. Seriously. I keep saying the most beautiful women I have seen are cancer survivors and pregnant women. You know why? Because they’re raw. They’re real. They aren’t afraid. They represent LIFE. It makes the make-up and tanning seem rather unnecessary.
6) Alcohol just leads to problems. Moderation is fine. But if you’re seriously drinking all the time in excess, you have a problem and you should seek help. It’s not “fun” its bad for your health and it’s detrimental to your life in general.
Now I know life is for living and people should go out and experience it.
But remember, people and situations are lessons. Just like it says in the lyrics from Wicked:
I’ve heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason, bringing something we must learn. And we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them, and we help them in return. Well I don’t know if I believe that’s true, but I know I’m who I am today because I knew you.
Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes the sun. Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood. Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better. But because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
And you will be changed, and hopefully it’s for good.